ALAS Archives

March 2007

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Stephanie Brock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:06:42 -0400
hey all. hope your spring break was amazing & we only have a couple more
weeks left so get excited :)

USHLI peopole:  We're going to be getting together to talk about the
conference soon, so look out for e-mails for that because we have to do a
presentation for Miami.

Relay for Life:  Register ASAP if you still haven't.  Remember, it's April
13-14.  and your personal goal is $100 as well as a $10 registration fee.
Keep fundraising :)

Locura:  This is going to be our LAST locura of the year.  It's Friday,
April 2 at Brodies from 10-2.

FREE DINNER:  at FIESTA CHARRA with Anthony Munoz.  You MUST be there at 5
because he's on a very tight schedule.  It will be this Wednesday at 5 at
Fiesta Charra.  Please come & support ALAS. :)

Also on Wednesday:  Conversacion y Cafe.  3-5 at King Library.

The Beta's are having a fundraiser!  They will be picking up balls at the
new baseball field, Yeager Stadium and they would like your help!  They
will be picking them up Friday at 10am, 2pm, and 4pm; Saturday at 10am and
4pm; and Sunday at 4pm.  Support the Betas!

The Office of Diversity Affairs is interviewing 4 candidates for the
position: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF DIVERSE STUDENT DEVELOPMENT. This person
will be supervised by Eddie and will start the 1st of August.

Resumes of each candidate will be provided at the lunch. Please feel free
to bring a friend, preferably a fellow student leader.

Tuesday, March 20, noon-1:30pm @ Shriver's 1809 Dining Room
Thursday, March 22, noon-1:30pm @ Shriver's 1809 Dining Room
Friday, March 23, noon-1:30pm @ Shriver's 1809 Dining Room

Please go if you are able!

Last but not least, this week is AWESOME week :)

A Week for Every Student to Open their Minds and Ears(AWESOME)

Here are a few events that will be taking place this week:

Tuesday, March 20 (4:00-6:30pm, Pearson 116)
"The State of the Black Union: Miami University" (co-sponsored with BSAA,
ABFAS, and CBCL)
Join us for an introduction to the Umoja Think Tank Coalition and an open
discussion about the state of the Black community on Miami's campus. Input
and open dialogue about various issues surrounding the Black community are
welcomed!

Wednesday, March 21 (7:00-8:00pm, Laws 113)
Anthony Munoz (co-sponsored with ALAS and the Athletic Department)
Former NFL Cincinnati Bengals professional football player visits the
Miami campus to share his thoughts about being a minority athlete and a
student of color at a predominately white school. Come meet a local
celebrity!!!!!

Thursday, March 22 (time and location TBA)
Stop the Hate Rally (co-sponsored with InterFaith Circle)
Support, appreciation and respect for all faiths and religions is
encouraged through the DAC! Join the InterFaith Circle and DAC in this
peaceful demonstration of support and respect as we ask to Stop the Hate
that fuels prejudice and stereotypes against various religious faiths.

Saturday, March 23 (10:00am, Uptown Pavilion and Park)
Pet Walk (co-sponsored with the Whistlestop, MUPAWS, Kofenya and local
animal shelters)
The DAC shows its diversity by offering assistance to local animal
shelters! For only $10.00, you and your furry friend(s) can join us for a
walk around the campus. Donations are welcomed, also. All proceeds go to
support local animal shelters. Animal Adoption agencies will be on hand to
show off cats and dogs, if you want to bring a new member of the family
home! Local pet stores are offering watering stops for your pets! And free
bandanas will be given away for each pet participating!

The next GBM:  2 April 2007 at Basement of Kreger at 7!

The in-between Monday will be a PUBLICITY meeting!

I know this is really long but at least try to participate in one event :)

Have an AWESOME week ALAS! :)

For information and upcomming events please visit www.muohio.edu/alas