ALUMVOLS Archives

October 2006

ALUMVOLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Genaro Cervantes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alumni Volunteers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:42:27 -0120
Mr. Sikes contented himself with tying an imaginary knot under his left ear, and jerking his head over on the right shoulder; a piece of dumb show which the Jew appeared to understand perfectly. He then, in cant terms, with which his whole conversation was plentifully besprinkled, but which would be quite unintelligible if they were recorded here, demanded a glass of liquor.‘Somebody must find out wot’s been done at the office,’ said Mr. Sikes in a much lower tone than he had taken since he came in.‘Nancy, my dear,’ said the Jew in a soothing manner, ‘what do YOU say?’‘Only just up to the office, my dear,’ said the Jew coaxingly.‘She’ll go, Fagin,’ said Sikes.‘Where’s Oliver?’ said the Jew, rising with a menacing look. ‘Where’s the boy?’‘Will you speak?’ thundered the Jew: shaking the Dodger so much that his keeping in the big coat at all, seemed perfectly miraculous.There was a long pause. Every member of the respectable coterie appeared plunged in his own reflections; not !
 excepting the dog, who by a certain malicious licking of his lips seemed to be meditating an attack upon the legs of the first gentleman or lady he might encounter in the streets when he went out.‘Are you mad?’ said the Jew, catching the man by the sleeve, and pointing towards the boys.‘Are you mad?’ said the Jew, catching the man by the sleeve, and pointing towards the boys.‘Somebody must find out wot’s been done at the office,’ said Mr. Sikes in a much lower tone than he had taken since he came in.‘I’m afraid,’ said the Jew, ‘that he may say something which will get us into trouble.’And Mr. Sikes was right. By dint of alternate threats, promises, and bribes, the lady in question was ultimately prevailed upon to undertake the commission. She was not, indeed, withheld by the same considerations as her agreeable friend; for, having recently removed into the neighborhood of Field Lane from the remote but genteel suburb of Ratcliffe, she was not under the same apprehension of !
 being recognised by any of her numerous acquaintance.‘Nancy, my dear,’
 said the Jew in a soothing manner, ‘what do YOU say?’‘And as I don’t want ’em to, neither,’ replied Nancy in the same composed manner, ‘it’s rather more no than yes with me, Bill.’‘What do you mean by that?’ said Mr. Sikes, looking up in a surly manner.The Jew stepped back in this emergency, with more agility than could have been anticipated in a man of his apparent decrepitude; and, seizing up the pot, prepared to hurl it at his assailant’s head. But Charley Bates, at this moment, calling his attention by a perfectly terrific howl, he suddenly altered its destination, and flung it full at that young gentleman.‘Why, what the blazes is in the wind now!’ growled a deep voice. ‘Who pitched that ‘ere at me? It’s well it’s the beer, and not the pot, as hit me, or I’d have settled somebody. I might have know’d, as nobody but an infernal, rich, plundering, thundering old Jew could afford to throw away any drink but water—and not that, unless he done the River Company every quarter!
 . Wot’s it all about, Fagin? D—me, if my neck–handkercher an’t lined with beer! Come in, you sneaking warmint; wot are you stopping outside for, as if you was ashamed of your master! Come in!’The man who growled out these words, was a stoutly–built fellow of about five–and–thirty, in a black velveteen coat, very soiled drab breeches, lace–up half boots, and grey cotton stockings which inclosed a bulky pair of legs, with large swelling calves;—the kind of legs, which in such costume, always look in an unfinished and incomplete state without a set of fetters to garnish them. He had a brown hat on his head, and a dirty belcher handkerchief round his neck: with the long frayed ends of which he smeared the beer from his face as he spoke. He disclosed, when he had done so, a broad heavy countenance with a beard of three days’ growth, and two scowling eyes; one of which displayed various parti–coloured symptoms of having been recently damaged by a blow. ‘Come in, d’ye hear?’ growl!
 ed this engaging ruffian. A white shaggy dog, with his face scratched
and torn in twenty different places, skulked into the room.‘Why didn’t you come in afore?’ said the man. ‘You’re getting too proud to own me afore company, are you? Lie down!’The Jew’s countenance fell. He turned from this young lady, who was gaily, not to say gorgeously attired, in a red gown, green boots, and yellow curl–papers, to the other female.

Dear, Artnarchstaff
Flower land International inc. is looking for talented employees.
Our Company:

FlowerLand International is an american trading company.
Our main values are:

-To provide perfect customer service
-To offer top quality products
-To create and innovate

The vacancy:
Our company has an opportunity for talented, highly creative people.
We are looking for someone who is energetic, ambitious and intelligent. We can employ people from all over the world.

Our email is: F lowerIntl (at) web2mail.com

The successful employee must possess the following skills and experience:
- Good social skills.
- Accuracy
- Intelligence.

Main Advantages:

- Really High Wages.
- Ability to work from home.
- No sign up fees, no investment is required.
- All expenses such as phone calls, webtraffic, etc will be fully covered by our company.
- AIDS\Disability Friendly team.

Degree:  required.

How to Begin:
Please send your resume to our personnel manager via email F lowerIntl (at) web2mail.com
It must be sent in a TXT, Microsoft Word or RTF format.