ATEG Archives

September 1999

From:
"Albert E. Krahn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 23:58:05 -0500
I suspect that Wilson has it right.
The problem with the as/which comparison is that it is only part of the
game. The argument is a trap.

The word "as" is supremely ambiguous, and it can substitute for almost any
subordinator, such as those listed below by Wilson. Hence, I have warned
students away from it for years. (If you want to be a clear writer, get off
of "as," I tell them--or go into politics.)

Since "as" shares a job with nearly all of the subordinators and since the
relative pronouns also function as a kind of subordinator, you could
probably play this comparison game with any subordinator and "as." Anyone
wanna try?

akra