ATEG Archives

October 2001

From:
Liz Spalding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:24:20 -0400
I'm mostly a lurker, but couldn't resist responding with an item that
recently appeared in my hometown (Charleston, WV) newspaper regarding an
"anthrax scare" that arrived in an envelope to a state agency.   The
employee was quoted as saying afterward, "Holy Cow!  We hadn't ought to
have sniffed that."

Lliz

At 08:50 AM 10/23/01 +0300, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>I grew up in Murfreesboro, TN hearing "hadn't ought"  also.  So, it is used in
>New England and Tennessee.  I wonder where else?
>Best,
>Mike
>
> > Just FYI - I grew up hearing "hadn't ought" as a child in New England as
> > in
> > "He hadn't ought to stack the wood on his porch; the termites will eat
> > his
> > house."  It was perfectly acceptable grammar and widely used.
> >
> > Gretchen in San Jose
> >
> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> > interface at:
> >      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > and select "Join or leave the list"
> >
> > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> >

>Dr. Mike Garant
>School of Modern Language and Translation Studies / Kieli- ja käännöstieteiden
>laitos
>Room C 353
>University of Tampere
>Pyynikintie 2
>FIN-33014 University of Tampere
>Finland
>Office phone 03 215 6134
>fax. +358-(0)3-215 7146
>Associate Editor of Academic Echange Quarterly (AEQ):
>http://rapidintellect.com/AEQweb/
>
>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at:
>and select "Join or leave the list"

Dr. Elizabeth Spalding
Assistant Professor
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
309 Dickey Hall
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY  40506-0017
Phone:(606)257-4127