ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:09:17 -0700
Connie Weaver writes:

> What do you mean when you say that the death of "good writing" is
happening?

While I am at least 100% in agreement with her comments (below) regarding
the improvements in writing instruction, I must apologize for my
mis-statement regarding "the death of 'good writing'." I'm at a loss for why
I wrote that. I don't think I ever would say it, unless something terrible
happened to public education! Perhaps I was thinking of the complaints that
I hear outside the education community; or was I remebering my experiences
about a decade ago as a tutor in one of our state university writing labs,
watching high school graduates fumble desparately through their Freshman
composition papers with far less skill than their ESL counterparts?

I work with a staff of excellent English teachers in a public high school,
and we all emphasize writing, teach the process of writing, work with
students on improving their writing, and share our successes and failures in
a cooperative, nurturing atmosphere. It's wonderful, but we all seem to lack
time to teach our students the grammar skills that we believe they should
have arrived on our doorstep with, ready to apply them in a creative and
critically secure fashion.  Our tasks, both in the teaching of writing and
the teaching of literature are that much more difficult.

I believe that we need to develop a program that will prepare and encourage
lower grade teachers to prepare our students more consistantly and
accurately. Then we would have more time to spend helping them be better
readers, writers, listeners, speakers, and thinkers (there is an awful lot
of material under the English umbrella).

I hope that Connie will respond and accept my corrective action.

Paul D.

> All across the country, many teachers are teaching writing much better
than
> teachers used to a decade or two ago.  This is especially true at the
> elementary level.  I know this because most recently my field has been
English
> education, not linguistics, and I have kept reasonably well connected.
The