ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:04:09 +0100
> Brad,

 If I am asked "Where is this kettle?" and I answer "By the fridge", it
would seem according to your lights that "By the fridge" is not a sentence
on its own unless it has such a context around it (as here the question).
That is perfectly true, but it does not at all mean that "By the fridge"
because of that fact can never be a sentence, or, better, an informative
statement.

Similarly with '"Someone had committed the murder", for if one heard (as in
the case of a murder many years before where the police had been grossly
complacent and precipitately given up their inquiries), one might
justifiably and sarcastically say "Someone had committed the murder;  the
police had no right to close the case!"  So you cannot put "Not a sentence"
by it as if sentencehood was completely ruled out.  So one must agree with
Scott's last remark.

Certainly, if one is teaching students how various grammatical units can
contribute to a a complete sentence, 'by the fridge' would be described as
merely a prepositional phrase, adjectival or adverbial as the case may be,
but in the elliptical interchange of everyday speech one can rely on memory
to fill in what one leaves out.  But "Someone had committed the murder" has
all that a grammatical sentence requires:  subject and predicate, and their
respective parts.  If you are going to add the requirement that nothing is a
sentence unless its meaning can stand without a context, you will rule out
all sentences.  Even "Where is this kettle?" is ambiguous on its own --
someone might have just said "That's an odd kettle of fish!"

Yours,

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court