ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 08:52:34 -0400
Tim,
     All this is enormously interesting.  It does sound in some ways like
current minimalist approaches to grammar in avoidance of formal
terminolgy.  It differs from functional grammar, or seems to, in that
functional grammar sees a lot of meaningful work being done within
the internal structure of the clause. It's not so much that grammar
comes in the back door, but that the frame of reference is
functional.  If, for example, establishing a relationship with a
reader is important, we can look at ways in which that function is
carried out within the grammar.  Grammar and meaning are no longer at
war; a focus on the grammar brings us more deeply into the heart of
the meaning. Asking if it's necessary is a bit like asking if deep
understanding is necessary.  Not at all.  Most people do without it.
    Of course, the most important question of all is "why learn grammar",
and the most common answer is "to avoid error." It seems to me that
decades ago some people were searching for ways to make knowledge of
grammar far more useful, less superficial.>
     You say they were interested in "whole chunks".  Did they advocate
shaping the sentence to fit in its place within the whole text? Is
grammar attention pretty much localized to discreet sentences?  Was
there also a rhetorical process at work?
     I enjoyed your recent introduction of yourself, by the way.  I look
forward to meeting you in Chicago.

Craig

 Dear ATEGers,