ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:25:03 -0400
Brett,

I suspect you misspoke below when you wrote "for reasons why -N'T should be considered an inflectional ending (or "clitic" in technical terms)."  The point of Zwicky&Pullum's argument is that inflectional endings and clitics aren't the same thing, and "n't" is an inflectional ending, not a clitic.

Clitic is a useful category in grammatical analysis, although it's not easy to define.  Contrasting clitics with inflectional endings is one thing.  Defining clitics across languages or even across English is a little harder. Roughly speaking, on a scale of how bound they are and what they bind to, affixes are the most bound and words the least, hence Bloomfield's definition of "word" as a "minimal free form."  Clitics sit between affixes and words. They are bound to grammatical categories, like NP, not to roots or stems as affixes are. Unstressed words like "the," "and," prepositions, "that" as a subordinating conjunctions, etc. behave like clitics rather than words.

While the affix/clitic/word distinction is important in grammatical analysis, I doubt that it has much of a place in teaching grammar in high school or college.

Herb