ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:25:22 -0600
Herb,

Grammar is not a science because smart people do not agree, and there is no real answer that we some day might understand.  Your theories and models within the same discipline clash; smart people disagree.  That is not science.  That doesn't mean it is anti-intellectual.  It's just not science.  Not sure why some of you seem to be offended by this.  I thought this was common knowledge.

>  _pace_ Rumsfeld, actually increases.

?

"Philosophers of science"?  Are you kidding?  What credibility do philosophers have in the area of science?  I am talking science.

But if you think scientists would not agree with me, do name one and explain why what he or she has said that would refute my characterization of grammatical definitions.

Susan