ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:38:23 -0400
Geoff,
   You obviously have a fairly self-contained system (approach ) to the
problem of teaching composition to college students who have had little
exposure to grammar (more misunderstanding than understanding.) I have
a great deal of sympathy for the difficulty of it; I'm dealt the same
problem every year and am trying to do better at it. It's a hugely
difficult, almost impossible task, and we are certainly bailed out by
our students' innate ability to use language purposefully. I would like
to venture that you don't have the complete answer yet, but have a
handful of approaches that you find useful. My own are a bit different
and probably start with a different assumption, that technical terms
are useful precisely because they name sonmething worth drawing
attention to, dependent clause among them. One problem is that soft
understandings (avoiding the technical) are precisely what has gotten
us to this terrbile place where I pretty much have to start from
scratch with little or no shared metalanguage to draw on.
   I think it's useful to seperate this discussion out from scope and
sequence, to say that it's a different problem from the question of
what we teach students K-12 so that they come to college with a routine
understanding of language that we can work with.
   One reason for coming up with three areas is that we can then highlight
some of the differences in how people understand the nature or goals of
grammar. People want students to acquire a Standard English. Therefore,
we should make the nature of Standard English explicit and not simply
expect people to behave "properly" from mere exposure. We should also
teach the rule-governed nature of dialects and help students see the
expressive power (and great usefulness) of non-standard forms. Luckily,
we have a wonderful literature that does exactly that, and it's already
in place in the curriculum.
   Another goal seesm to be some mastery of the conventions of writing,
which I believe are a much different kind of "correctness", perhaps
equally difficult for everyone, regardless of exposure to more
mainstream dialects while growing up. Speech isn't punctuated. It isn't
paragraphed. It doesn't generally include a "review of the literature".
And so on. I think we owe it to students to admit that the conventions
are described in terms of syntax, judged in terms of suyntax, and
aren't easily mastered without some attention to the nature of these
conventions. I have no problem using a term like "restrictive and
non-restrictive modification", however carefully I might explain it in
terms my students can understand. I can certainly find instances in
their writing where unfortunate ambiguity ought to be cleared up. My
students write run-on sentences quite readily when the independent
clauses seem to be saying the same thing. "My father was a generous
guy, he always opened his pockets to the needy." I wouldn't tell them
they are "wrong", but certainly need to tell them that this breaks one
of the major conventions of punctuation and that the semi-colon is a
nice way to connect the two while acknowledging the independence of the
clauses. I wish I didn't have to start from scratch with college
students, but I pretty much have to, not because "complete thought"
isn't a useful idea, but because the conventions haven't changed to
accomodate "complete thoughts" as OK. So that's a second area of
concern (being able to read a handbook.) We can rewrite the handbooks,
but no one has done that yet. We just have non-technical approaches to
meeting technical demands, and it has been a terrible failure. If
teachers took ten minutes to explain a clause, it would do much more
good than ten hours of "complete thought." Complete thought is not
direct. It's not accurate. You can't build on it. with clause, you can.
   The third area is where you want to focus your attention, and I admit
it's the area I am fondest of. We can and should focus attention on the
close realtionship between the form of an expression and its meaning,
especially if meaning is broadened out toward purpose, toward an
audience. I like a great deal of the terminology of functional grammar,
but the concepts are probably the key. How do we develop a topic? How
does a writer convey perspective, and what role does perspective play
in the construal of meaning? Is perspective presented differently in a
narrative than it is in a news story? In an argument?  How do we
establish relationships with readers? How does a text cohere? What is
the role of repitition, of given and new? How does the intonation
grammar of speech carry over into writing? How and why should we unpack
the meaning of our sentences? How and why should we condense? What are
the positions in a text that carry the greatest emphasis? If sentences
can vary widely in the amount of information they contain and in the
way that information is organized, how do those choices impact our
contact with a reader?
   All of those questions require a recognition of the connection between
form and meaning, that these manipulations are not merely "correcting",
but writing and revising in the larger sense revered by composition
teachers (and generally thought of as at war with grammar. If you're
correcting, as it's now understood, you're not really writing or
revising.)
   My fourth area (sub area of three) relates to your disagreement with
Karl. Too long, I think, English teachers have seen narrative (and
poetry and drama) as their prime concern, and so we haven't taken a
good look at the language in the technical disciplines. Building a
technical vocabulary is absolutely essential to the workings of a
discipline, and it takes us away from the more narrative structures
(who, what, where, when, why, how)to a much more heavily nominalized
world where ideas are seen in relation to other ideas. There are, of
course, ways in which this can be merely obfuscation and
self-importance, but there are ways in which the work of the world
cannot happen without it, including the work of understanding langauge.
And it seems to me terrible that literature teachers don't shy away
from "literary elements", but seem to think it's harmful or wrong to
look at syntax in the same clear and thoughtful way. Is "metaphor" a
technical term? How about "protagonist"? We use them because they help
understand how language works and how stories are organized. To me,
given and new, tonic prominence, intonation group, nominalization, and
so on, are equally useful.
   So, again, I propose these PURPOSES that will help us organize
knowledge about language in purposeful ways. What knowledge will help
us make Standard English accessible, especially to those students who
seem most at risk from not becoming comfortable with it? What knowledge
about language will help students understand the routine conventions
that make written discourse possible, including discourse in whatever
communities they want to be part of? What knowledge about language will
help us understand the nature of effective discourse and help students
accomplish their own purposes as writers? What knowledge about language
will help us understand the demands of a technical field? What will
help us understand the complex ways in which writing differs from
speech?
   It's an ambitious project, especially in light of the prevailing
tendency toward reducing knowledge of grammar to the smallest possible.

 Craig -