ATEG Archives

April 2004

From:
Kathleen Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:00:38 -0700
Noun clauses of this variety, sometimes called "embedded yes/no questions,"
appear in many nominal positions:

subjects

Whether he will remember me is an open question.

"extraposed" subjects

It is an open question whether he will remember me.

objects/complements of prepositions

I am concerned about whether he will remember me.

as well as complements to verbs, as in the sentenence you gave,

I wonder [whether] [if] he will remember me.

 What type of construction follows "I wonder"?  For example: