ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:14:59 -0400
Much of our debate about whether to teach grammar has centered on its
utility, on whether it is a means to other ends such as improved writing
skills.  We don't have the same debate about math or history or literature,
which are assumed to be inherently important.

As with those disciplines, the best reason for studying grammar is for its
own sake. The study of grammar gives us insight into the nature of language
and the structure of our minds. More area of our brains is devoted to
language than to any other function. It is the indispensable,
quintessentially human activity. Although all of us are experts in language
use (we constantly and effortlessly perform the amazingly complex task of
creating and comprehending entirely original sentences), we do it
subconsciously, with minimal conscious understanding of what we do.  The
study of grammar provides us with conscious knowledge of our language.  In
ways no other discipline provides, it allows us to know ourselves.  What
further justification does anyone need?

But in case they do, here's more: it is also great fun.

Dick Veit
Department of English, UNCW
http://www.uncwil.edu/people/veit/DEG/