ATEG Archives

May 2000

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1904 07:24:04 -0500

Although I know from experience that students often get their teacher's
directives wrong, I also recognize that what Kathleen reports could be
accurate.  A former colleague of mine, a senior professor in the creative
writing program, once complained to me about a studen's' use of a "there
is" sentence in a particular context. When I told him that I considered it
a perfectly reasonable use of the "there" sentence, given the context,  he
replied: "But it's passive; you don't let your students use the passive, do
you?"

I believe there are many teachers in English departments whose linguistic
education is limsited to their own "don't do this and don't do that" in
junior high or high school (and even college comp classes).

I once had a senior Writing major say, "You mean we can use "it" in this
class?"  I learned, after questioning him, that he had been warned against
"It is" sentences--and he thought the problem was the pronoun!

Nothing grammatical surprises me, Kathleen!

Martha Kolln