ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:36:06 -0500
Scott,
    I think those are great questions. I think language itself is a
natural phenomenon and definitions need to respect the complexity of
that living world. I believe that language exploration should be very
much at the heart of English studies and that having a shared language
to talk about that is very useful and natural. It seems to me very
strange that so many
English teachers disparage knowledge about language, even on a list like
this one.
   It might be fun to look at words that a good dictionary calls "noun"
and then ask students to describe the range of what they name. Some
nouns can be counted and some can't. Is there some pattern there? Does
it make sense to call anything that "modifies" a noun an adjective or
are the words that do that sometimes very different from each other?
What does it mean to "modify" a noun? What kinds of meaning are
involved with that? What kinds of meaning do pronouns stand in for?
    I'm not sure what's being taught throughout the country, but when my
students come to college, most of them from New York high schools,
they know almost nothing about language. They seem not to have had ANY
exposure to terms like "phrase" and "clause." They may be able to give
definitions for "simile" or "hyperbole" (or at least have memory of
being taught them), but they seem genuinely perplexed by "preposition"
or "phrase" or "clause." If something is "literary," it gets taught.
If it's a natural part of language (as metaphor and hyperbole are, but
that's another argument) it is not taught.
    Geoff's point-of-view--that acquiring a language simply happens and
there is no value in exploring the nature of that language--is
widespread. I couldn't disagree with it more.

Craig

 I am not suggesting that drilling students on grammar definitions is a