ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"Myers, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:54:21 -0400
Janet,

In my dialect area, we have baby showers "on" Mary, or Jill, or somebody else. Some say "of the morning" rather than "in the morning."
I don't think in terms of "correct" or "incorrect." I think more in terms of "appropriate" for the situation or context.

I hear "you guys" more and more. I once went to a meeting to discuss sexual equity that opened with the leader says, "Could I have you guys' attention?"

One linguist says that "you all" occurs mainly where slavery existed, but I heard a "you-all" in northern Minnesota this summer, so it appears to be moving northward as many have observed.

Marshall