ATEG Archives

September 2005

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:18:12 -0400
Hi Tim,

I don't know of any software that does what you describe.  I know of software that can calculate # of words per T-unit, etc.  but only AFTER someone marks the T-units.  But it's entirely likely that software has become smarter since I last investigated.

About 6 years ago, I purchased a software package called Code-A-Text to do this sort of task. (http://www.code-a-text.co.uk/index.htm)   It worked ok, was not entirely user-friendly, was cheaper than others (at the time about $200 compared to $900 for more expensive programs).

Here are a couple of pages seem to provide useful info on such software:

http://www.textanalysis.info/

http://www.eval.org/EvaluationLinks/QDA.htm

Please let us know which package you select!

Beth

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

>>> [log in to unmask] 9/8/2005 9:04 AM >>>
Yes, I will. I'm also going to check the Linguist List archives.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University