ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2011 09:13:49 -0700
Stephen & Gerald,

There are often adverbial clauses serving in an adjectival function.  The corresponding infinitive phrases are sometimes called "small clauses."  Such modifiers for place and time are often full clauses:

C. They went to the park where kids play. They went to the park for kids to play in.

D. They planned a meeting when they could discuss the job requirements. They planned a meeting to discuss the job requirements.

The ease of interpreting such phrases as adverbials of purpose modifying the main verb, seems to be the force for making these full clauses.  Similarly the sample sentences might be supplied with full clauses: