ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:47:11 -0400
Linda,

A corpus is basically a gigantic collection of text stored in a
computer-searchable form. The idea is to set up a big batch of real
language that is representative of a certain population (e.g. "modern
American newspaper English"). You're actually using a kind of corpus
when you do a Google search. If you do a Google search to find out
roughly how many pages use "on accident" rather than "by accident,"
you're doing linguistic research.

Given a good corpus, instead of simply making statements about how you
*think* people use the language, you can check to see how they actually
do use it. You can also look at the frequency with which things co-occur
in order to spot patterns, and the computer can do this for you very
quickly (and then you can run the number to see if what looks like it
might be a correlation is a statistically significant one or not). The
kinds of corpora that ATEGgers would be most interested in, I think, are
those that are representative of general American written English, esp.
ones that sample from a wide variety of genres.

Bill Spruiell