ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:54:11 -0500
> Geoff,John,
   I like the idea of a two pronged approach. Before we can test an
approach, we need to design and implement it. In the meantime, we can
certainly show ways in which Hillocks' view of grammar is deeply
problematic. Here are a few key quotes from Research in written
Composition. They show a very narrow (and indefensible) view of grammar
and admit that we need a much better understanding of what knowledge of
grammar would help even narrow (error focused) concerns.
   The problem is that very few people have ever read Hillocks, but they
can recite the NCTE position that draws from it. Political correctness
substitutes for real thought; ironically, it may be the marginalized
populations that suffer the most by this retreat from conscious
attention.

from Research on Written composition  (1986)

“Composing takes place at various levels of abstraction: from deciding
general text plans and intentions to producing the graphemic
representations….That is, competent writers do not simply generate
sentences. They generate them after thinking about purposes, content, and
so forth… The point is if the study of grammar and mechanics is brought to
bear on the composing process at all, it is likely to influence only the
most concrete levels, the planning and editing of specific sentences. But
such study would have no effect on the higher-level processes of deciding
on intentions and generating and organizing ideas. “(226)

“The study of traditional school grammar is not designed to help children
generate sentences but only to parse already-generated sentences. Thus,
the study of grammar is unlikely to be helpful even in the planning of
specific sentences. The study of mechanics and usage (what might be called
“conventional correctness”) is likely to have effect only in the
last-minute editing done during transcription or in the editing process
following it. In short, the findings of research on the composing process
give us no reason to expect the study of grammar or mechanics to have any
substantial effect on the writing process or on writing ability as
reflected in the quality of the written products. Experimental studies
show that they have little or none. These findings have been consistent
for many years” (226-227).

“Even the most liberal authorities…recognize a need to attend to the
mechanics of writing, although they would abjure the traditional naming of
parts of speech and parsing of sentences” 138.
    [There are two questions that need to be addressed. The first is how
much error is acceptable, which is] “Not answerable by research.
Teachers and institutions must decide for themselves on acceptable
error types and rates” (139).

“Very little research on the teaching of mechanics has been conducted. The
teaching of grammar and correctness has had, at best, mixed results even
for teaching correctness. We do not know how much grammar or what
grammatical knowledge writers must have to copyread with accuracy” (140).

Hope this helps,

Craig

John -