ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:08:53 -0500
    Biber et. al. suggest that initial placement of adverbials is often
motivated by information flow, the usual ordering of given first, new
last. Initial adverbials often have "scope over the entire clause," as
they do in the "early hours before dawn" example. (Consider, for
example, "Civilized men fight with gossip", where "with gossip" is
more tied to the verb.) They also sometimes "have scope over
subsequent clauses for a particular reason: they introduce a new
scenario, like a stage setting the scene for a play." These are often
oriented toward time and space. "On the other side of the fence, the
upper part of the field was full of rabbit holes." "Last week, he
promised that there would be no more boom and bust." (their examples.)
Presumably, the writer might want to contrast one side of the fence
with another or contrast last week's statement with one from another
time.

Craig

 "In the early hours just before dawn, the smell of bacon infuses the air