ATEG Archives

June 1998

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:45:23 -0700
Yes, I think we have begun to accept a plural pronoun for a singular
antecedent to establish gender neutrality.  As a traditionally educated,
conventionally minded fifty-eight year old, I still dislike the sound of
it, but there's no longer any point in fighting it. I've mopved on to
trying to hold the line on a distinction between "simple" and "simplistic"
but am about to give even that up and settle for "sung" rather than "sang"
as the past participle of "sing"!