ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
JEFF GLAUNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:24:27 -0500
Paul,

I know exactly where you are coming from.  I was there.  I taught high
school grammar for 8 years, and I had the same frustrations that you are
voicing.  You are exactly right about the solution: a simplified,
comprehensive, systematic grammar that starts at the beginning of the
student's formal education.  That is exactly what has been rejected by the
contemporary language arts "establishment," chanting the worn-out mantra,
"It doesn't improve writing."  We insist on students learning math in a
systematic way.  We could all just count on our fingers instead of learning
terms such as add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  But it wouldn't make
sense and many students would never get past 10 (or 20 in tropical
climates).  By denying students the study of systematic grammar, we are
abandoning them at 20.

In regard to the "simplicity" of the verb, that is relative to the
complexity of the verb as it was taught in traditional grammar.  It is
little wonder that only a few came away from those lessons with
understanding.  With a more descriptive approach, using fewer terms and
whatever knowledge the students bring with them, added to an early start to
the process and a continuous cycling of the material from level to level, it
doesn't have to be difficult.  I'm sending new teachers into the elementary
schools who are armed and indoctrinated to do just that.  I hope a lot of
other colleges will do the same.  Perhaps, we can turn this difficult
situation around.

Jeff Glauner
Park University