ATEG Archives

October 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:32:06 -0400
Mike,
   I'm not familiar with Lanham's book, but very familiar with Williams.
His book would also have the benefit of being cheap. You're right--this
is exactly the kind of discussion I would love to have in the course,
not just a single point-of-view, but an open exploration of the role of
language in the making of meaning, of the value of conscious awareness,
and of the value of different kinds of approaches to language, even
different kinds of prescriptivism. Do English teachers tend to give
advice that doesn't hold in other disciplines? The passive might be a
good example. Nominalization would be another.
    I like the term "construal" when exploring whether two expressions
are equivalent. "Ideas" can be limiting.

Craig