ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
Warren Sieme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 19:43:26 -0400
I think one of the problems we need to address here is the issue of the
end result of student writing. Obviously, not every student is destined
to become a “writer” (whatever that may be), and our job, at least at
the high school and probably the college level is have students perform
to certain standards. We’ve elected to call these standards “formal
writing.” We call this “formal” because is follows a FORM.,  Please
don’t misunderstand me, I certainly advocate self-expression, respect
for dialects, and inculcating personal meaning in student writing. But,
the fact is, that in order to succeed academically, what students need
to be able to do is “measure up” to whatever the local state standards
happen to be.
     Much like building a house, though, writing needs to have a
foundation. It’s somewhat of a truism that “you have to know the rules
in order to break them,” and I think this is true of student writing.
So, is it so terrible to teach students to outline their writing with a
“controlling idea” or “articulated thesis statement”? Craig says that
our students have been “too rigidly prepared for this.”  And “you have
to shake them loose from this.” My question is: how do we prepare
students for more advanced writing? Again, it seems as though you need
to master the basics before you can add layers of sophistication to
these basics. Again, if you are learning to build a house, you build a
foundation, lay down a sill plate and build a reasonably square house
with four walls and a roof. Once you’ve done that, you may experiment
with adding gables, extensions and whatnot, but, the basic frame
remains the same. I deal daily with students who have problems with
basic sentence construction. How am I to teach them to build the
Parthenon?