ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:12:01 -0500
Peter,
    Very happy to hear your voice on list and happy to respond to such
thoughtful observations and questions.
    You're right; if I had my way, we would all integrate a highly
functional approach to grammar. If that can't happen, it might be
better in some cases to have room for a teacher to bring in a more
minority view. As you know from my NCTE talk last year, I advocate "a
whole text view of the sentence" as a way to connect grammar to
discourse. To me, a wholesale embrace of a discourse friendly grammar
is the best of all possible worlds. To many people, grammar in context
means bringing grammar up once in awhile when the errors get too
irritating, but I know you mean much more than that.
    The hypothetical question I proposed came right out of our own recent
thread, which started as a question about "correctness" ( whether an
opening phrase might be a dangling modifier) and ended with a
discussion about why adverbial prepositional phrases might effectively
open a sentence. Both "prepositional phrase" and "adverbial" were key
parts of that conversation. Without those terms, I don't think we
could have that talk. I thought those might be terms that most of us
could advocate--perhaps not ideal to all of us, but a very mainstream
compromise. I know there are objections to "adverbial" for a group
that "modifies" (adjunct to?) a verb, but it is the most mainstream
way we talk about it amongst ourselves.
   My question wasn't really a terminology question. That is, I used the
terms, but was asking a respondent to recognize what was going on
within the sentence. The question, in other words, was directed at
knowledge about language, using terminology that most of us (despite
our large differences in approach to language) would either use or
recognize easily. I could have said "marked theme" (out of systemic
functional grammar), a term I use with my own classes, but most people
on list would not be familiar with that. It might be parallel to asking
"which of the following is a fraction?" The student would not only need
to recognize the term, but be able to recognize a member of the
category.
     Fractions, of course, are a huge resource in so many registers.
     My ideal test for knowledge about language would be an analysis of a
text, exploring how the sentences work together to build a larger
meaning. Before my students can do that, they have to explore
different components of the grammar. Terminology inevitably comes
with that.

Craig

 Craig, Let me add to the issues raised by your sample question. I was