ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:38:49 -0400
Nicely expressed, Bill.  I'm so glad that you and some others are emphasizing
putting LANGUAGE back into the curriculum, not grammar as the schools have
traditionally known it, or even syntax alone, explained by any one or more
modern theories.  I also must thank those of you who are sharing materials and
teaching ideas, some of which I already use, and others of which I may want to
try.  (I'm enjoying your online grammar course, too, Jeff.)

Alas, the lessons we are learning about putting phonics "back" into the
curriculum (in most cases/places it never left) is that in many places,
phonics is crowding out virtually everything else in the primary grades--math,
science, recess, as well as actual reading and writing.  The latter is
happening because of districts' mistaken belief in the alleged results of one
research study and the inaccurate claims made about one program and approach,
plus the false claims that are made in and/or about one alleged research
summary, done by an author of one of these lockstep programs.   In some
places, this phonics take-over is the result of legislation, though surely
many (most?) legislators would not have anticipated the results of what
they've done.  I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not.  Sad stories arrive
almost weekly via some of the listservs I'm on.

This should help explain my deepest fear about the cry for putting grammar
back into the curriculum, namely the fear of the indirect but negative effects
it may have on children's learning.  In this climate of back to basics and
phonics uber alles, it's a very real possibility that what some of us want to
do in teaching grammar could mushroom all out of proportion in the hands of
publishers, demagoges, and politicians.  It could get away from us, in other
words, and do far more harm to children's development of literacy than you may
ever have dreamed, simply by joining with phonics and other skiills work to
drown out virtually everything else.  Language scholars need to be careful
that they are not used as instruments of those who want a narrow educational
agenda and approach to literacy.  There are actually some proponents of
phonics who feel they have been used by publishers, demagogues, and
politicians, and we could all too easily join their ranks.   I've kept up
sufficiently with the politics of reading instruction to know that such
co-opting is a very real possibility.  That's why I hope we can work together
to restore language study to the curriculum WITHOUT ENCOURAGING A GRAMMAR AND
SKILLS TAKEOVER.

Connie Weaver
Western Michigan University