ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:02:42 -0500
Even the handling of misspellings is problematical.  Back in the heyday
of CAI in the 80s I ran directly into this problem while developing ESL
materials.  It was easy to tell if the answer was right.  It matched the
desired spelling exactly.  What was not so easy was how to tell if what
the student meant was right, but misspelled.  Misspelled answers and
wrong answers aren't necessarily the same thing.  I played around with a
probabilistic approach to this that worked most of the time.  It was
based on probability tables for letters by position by length of word,
up to 12-letter words.  Where it broke down was on misspellings like
"*recieve", where the probability of the "ie" sequence was higher than
that of the "ei" sequence.  Vagaries of English spelling like that I
couldn't fix probabilistically.  It takes intelligence, not an
algorithm, even a probabilistic one.

Herb