ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:41:28 +0000
A student wrote this in an essay.

"It's important to prepare your house for a hurricane, so you won't come
home to a mess when you return.  That is if you're lucky enough to not have
your whole house blown away."
"
Another teacher looking at my papers pointed out to me that the second
sentence is a fragment. I agreed at first, but then I wondered why.

"That is if you're lucky enough to not have your whole house blown away."

"That"  = subject.
"is"  = verb
"if............... blown away"  = noun clause???

I thought of these examples, but they seem different somehow. Are these
fragments too?

That is why I quit my job.
That is when you know you are in trouble.
That is whom I voted for.
That is who got my vote.

"If" can introduce a noun clause but there is not a "that" beginning the
main clause usually.

I wondered if my house would be blown away.
That will tell me if my house is still standing.

If it's a fragment, should it be connected to the preceding one with a comma
between.
Is it considered as aside. How is it labeled? I don't know how to explain
this. Is there a name for that type of clause? What does "that" refer to in
the independent clause?

It's important to prepare your house for a hurricane, so you won't come home
to a mess when you return, that is if you're lucky enough to not have your
whole house blown away.

-

Christine Reintjes Martin