ATEG Archives

September 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:36:30 -0500
I'm getting in on this late, and I may be muddying the water inappropriately, but is not "manifest" an adjective in these sentences?

The meaning was made manifest.
The meaning was made apparent.
The meaning was made obvious.

All of these sentences have essentially the same meaning and structure. So how does "manifest" become a DO in such a sentence?

Not arguing--just wondering.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University