ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:19:01 -0700
Dan,
	Consider the notion that our experience programs our brains for
language and that language employs metaphors that help structure our
perceptions and our conceptualization.  I would not be doing Lakoff
and Johnson justice to present my own examples instead of theirs.
But, English uses extended verbs to a degree that most other
languages do not.  Consider the basic directions up, down, in, and
out.  Now consider such basic actions as hold or shut.  Hold up, hold
down, hold in, hold out and shut up, shut down, shut in, shut out--
all of these create images that correspond with meaning.  Lakoff and
Johnson use such metaphors as "Up is more," following from the
experience of piling one thing on top of another (in Spanish, one is
uno and unos is some, or sum, suggesting that English is not the only
language providing us with metaphors).  Lakoff and Johnson are
claiming that our bodies program our brains so that our minds can
negotiate meaning in ambiguous expressions and in the spaces between
words.  These phrases are idioms that suggest that language may be
more idiomatic than we, as grammarians, might view with comfort.  You
might think that this stretches metaphor quite thin, but it is no
thinner than the air we breathe or than a line that connects
experience to meaning, as sentences do.
	Like Craig Hancock, I am impressed by the attention given and the
directions taken by people writing on this issue.  I hope to see more.
		Best regards,
		Gregg Heacock