ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:03:59 -0400
An additional piece of support for the adjectival reading comes from the fact that the where-clause sounds strange if decoupled from the NP:

Where they had been sitting, I sat down on the rock.

It doesn't sound quite as strange if 'rock' is indefinite, though, which I would take as an indication that the construction in general *can* be read two different ways (the use of the definite article strongly cues the adjectival reading, I'm guessing).

Where they had been sitting, I sat down on a rock.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University