ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 08:35:41 -0500
Herb and Nancy -

As "wrong" as these rules are, they still can serve a purpose.  While
clearly wrong, the "never use a passive voice" rule does provide a structure
that novice writers can follow.  I'm not sure that teaching the passive
voice, with all its strengths and weaknesses, is a worthwhile goal for
beginning writers.  Similarly the "topic sentence" rule provides novice
writers with structure as they struggle to compose.  Instead of the "grammar
rules that aren't," how about a book that explains to teachers how and why
the "non-rules" are supposed to help.  Sometimes I think we forget how
difficult writing is for students who are not familiar with writing
conventions, particularly the conventions of academic writing.

Geoff Layton

>From: "Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Myth "rules" (digression from historical present)
>Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:14:51 -0400
>
>A couple more such rules are "Never use passive voice" and "Put the
>topic sentence at the beginning of the paragraph."
>

>Maybe we could inveigle NCTE into publishing a book titled "Grammar
>rules that aren't"?
>

>Herb

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507