ATEG Archives

June 2004

From:
"Strasheim, Dwayne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:50:49 -0500
This one is old-fashioned and rural, but my high school Latin teacher,
who had grown up on a dairy farm, told our class one day in 1954 that a
good way to remember the spelling of "separate," as opposed to words
like "desperate," is to say the sentence, "There is A RAT in the (cream)
separator."  Apparently that happened often enough that it made an
impression on her, and 50 years later I never write "separate" without
thinking of her good advice.

Dwayne Strasheim
Hastings College