ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Dan Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:45:59 -0700
Geoff:

These are really excellent questions. I think that more teachers need
to first consider what their overall objectives are before they decide
what and how much to say about grammar. It's unproductive to debate
the place of grammar in the teaching of writing if you haven't first
decided on the larger pedagogical goals of your writing class.

By default, I try and say as little about grammatical details as
possible in my class (freshman composition), because it quickly gets
complicated, many students quickly get bored, and I tend to digress.
But there are times I find it necessary to discuss the details of
grammar, and it's impossible to do that without defining terms and
laying out a common meta-language for the class.

One alternative strategy for defining terms would be this: Instead of
defining what a preposition or an auxiliary verb "means" or "does,"
you just list the words that are the prototypical members of that
category, and allow students to rely on their innate grammatical
competence to figure out the rest.

If you try to do the latter, you can easily get mired in talking about
semantics (prepositions do this..., or prepositions mean this... in a
sentence). In my experience, these discussions can get very messy once
students start asking questions and you start looking at the gory
details of actual sentences. Students also get very confused when you
try to explain syntactic items based on their semantic properties,
which is the traditional way, because the match between syntax and
semantics is chaotic.

If you do the former, you skip all these pitfalls, save some
class-time potentially, and allow students to rely on their
grammatical intuitions. It may be less satisfying, but I think it's
pedagogically sounder in most cases. I find it very parsimonious.

Does my alternative strategy make sense? It's something I have been
toying with in my classroom. It's what Joseph Williams does in his
glossary of grammatical terms at the back of Style: Lessons in Clarity
& Grace. I'm curious what people think.

--Dan