ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:20:12 -0500
I think that 'a society' is perfectly proper.  It is only the somewhat
monolithic US society that burdens its citizenry with the challengeable
belief into THE (one and only) society.

I also have no problem with "level of intelligence," linguistically
speaking.  However, I agree with you that a society is likely to contain
several levels of intelligence; in fact, it may have as many levels of
intelligence as it has citizens.

There is a fine line between what is a matter of semantic selection and
philosophical conviction.  One can challenge the former on grammatical
grounds, but not the latter.

==Reinhold