ATEG Archives

May 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 19:21:40 -0700
The explanation of the passive on that web page is too vague. Among the
other problems (e.g., see Michael's response to this post) I think many
average users of the site would mis-read the given method of identifying a
passive ("a form of BE and a past participle"). It's quite possible that
they could mistakenly interpret simple sentences like this as passive:

"I am confused about the passive voice."

If they read "confused" as a past participle (which it sometimes is) instead
of as a subject complement ........

Paul D.