ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:52:14 -0800
That usage is perhaps modeled after the East India Company. Each of its
directors was individually known as a committee. In point of fact, this
singular usage (one to whom something has been committed) is the older
one, and I would have said obsolete until you mentioned this example.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College