ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:39:54 -0800
Ed asks how preschool language acquisition is relevant to school-age
grammar instruction. As Connie notes, I believe it is very relevant.

(1) It tells us which structures, more or less, children can already
produce and understand at school age. This provides a benchmark for
measurement of future development, for instance in the very kind of
research Ed is interested in. It can give us a jumping-off point for
early grammar instruction. There would be little use, for example, in
teaching about a subordinate conjunction like 'unless' before kids are
developmentally ready to handle it (I understand that 'unless' comes in
rather late).

(2) I believe it is essential in evaluating language arts/grammar
materials. For example, children of school age reportedly have mastered
inflectional morphology (tenses, plurals, comparison) and some
derivational morphology. Yet early-grade grammar materials are filled
with worksheets and multi-choice tests that ask children to
supply/choose the correct verb form, plural form, etc. What are these
worksheets trying to do? Clearly, they would be repetitive busywork for
standard-speaking kids who already know this morphology. For kids from
nonstandard-dialect backgrounds, the worksheets are sending the message
that their language is wrong, since they are likely to pick a wrong
answer a lot of the time. There is no context explaining that the
(written) language of school might be different from the language they
are used to; there is no consideration of the fact that children in the
same class from different backgrounds will be challenged differently by
such materials.

In general, language arts materials** mostly ignore the vast store of
subconscious grammar knowledge children bring with them to school. This
is, I believe, because the people who write grammar materials either
don't know about this knowledge or don't
want to pay any attention to it in developing their materials.

**I am speaking of the major publishers' packages that are out there, at
least in CA: Hougton-Mifflin, Scott Foresman, McGraw-Hill, etc.

This contributes to the constant confusion in materials between knowing
how to label and analyze grammatical units (metalinguistic ability) and
the ability to produce grammatical language (linguistic ability).

I believe it is also important to research children's metalinguistic
abilities and establish benchmarks for these. The research I have read
and anecdotes from at least one teacher indicate that children aren't
ready for much metalinguistics until they are 8 or 9, that is, 3rd-4th
grade. On the other hand, a recent Syntax in the Schools had an
interesting article about starting with babies -- using metalinguistic
labels from early on. Clearly children's developmental timeline in this
area should inform grammar instruction.

All that said, I agree with Ed that a band-aid approach isn't something
I'd support. Rather than viewing grammar as a corrective, fix-it tool, I
believe we should view it as an analytical, do-anything tool --
knowledge that can help people understand how texts work or don't work
by being able to analyze any text grammatically and discuss the language
in the text with a conventional metalanguage. This is clearly a
long-term proposition -- we must start by middle school at the latest, I
feel, and have systematic grammar instruction every year right into high
school and maybe even college. For the situation we are in right now, a
corrective approach may be the best we can do in some circumstances,
when people are getting too little grammar, too late.

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-259
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •  Home page: http://www.calpoly.edu/~jrubba
                                       **
"Understanding is a lot like sex; it's got a practical purpose,
but that's not why people do it normally"  -            Frank  Oppenheimer