ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:41:57 +0100
> Colleagues,

I don't know whether I am the only British contributor, but I feel I have to
respond to Bob Yates's comment about our National Health Service.  I hope
you will excuse me making such a response in this milieu but I would like to
show Bob, as a pro-Obama citizen, that things are not as bad as Fox News may
have led him to fear.

These opponents of a health service have probably got their gothic accounts
of a 'death panel' from the existence of the committee which judges on
whether the latest drugs can be made available to all hospitals.  It is
obvious that some new, specialized, and hideously expensive drug cannot be
immediately made freely available to all hospitals because that would mean
that money for other patients would be unfairly restricted.  Over here we
are prepared to recognize that, under a free service which ministers to all
as British citizens irrespective of their economic status, a measure of
justice must prevail.  To describe this committee as a 'death panel' is a
gross insult, one which ignores the underlying patriotic fairness of its
purpose.  Remember that we do not have 46 million people without insurance!
No one is going to become bankrupt -- or even die -- here because they have
a chronic disease and have exhausted their private insurance.  Yes, it may
be true that over here some one does die six months earlier than they might
have done had they had the hideously expensive drug, but a hundred other
patients would have suffered as a result.  There is a moral issue here, a
real problem, that this Foxy propaganda is encouraging you to ignore.

As Bob suggests, it seems a great deal of mischievous misinformation is
being peddled over there about our NHS in an endeavour to frighten voters
off.  I have had on a number of occasions to call upon the help of our
health service, and all of them have been prompt, excellent, and, of course,
utterly free, both at the level of visits to the local doctor and to the
Addenbrooke's Hospital at Cambridge (which has an international reputation
-- and is now hugely expanding its cancer research facility).  I had a touch
of food poisoning lately (having kept something in the freezer too long!)
and was treated (with rapid results) within an hour when I turned up
unannounced at the hospital's Accident and Emergency department.  Ten years
ago, my wife was treated at this hospital for her terminal cancer, and
received close and concerned attention throughout.  Since then, I have been
supporting the Oncology department and the Palliative Care department -- I
include the latter because the people in that department gave her unstinting
care and sympathy.  Charitable assistance is still given to this national
institution!  I am off to a lecture, banquet and entertainment evening next
month arranged for supporters of the hospital -- Sir David Frost is the
speaker.

Yours,

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright