ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:33:58 -0800
I do know that back in the old days, this form was called the infinitive form, but I don't think there was any real thought that went into that (did it come from the Latin like other namings?); it's also when the 8 parts of speech were presented as absolute and there were no such things as sentence patterns.
I do agree that "be going to" is a multi-word modal and is one of the ways we indicate future.  And " I am going to town." is a different animal, not the modal but present progressive with an adverbial prepositional phrase.
Edith Wollin