ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:57:03 -0400
Dick,
    I think you may be confusing whether it's a comma splice with whether
it's acceptable (or should be). I have always understood a comma
splice as a comma (and no conjunction) between independent clauses.
That doesn't mean it's always wrong to do so. (The same is true of
sentence fragment. It can be rhetorically justified, but doesn't stop
being a fragment when it is.)
     The intonation, for me, would be fall rise, which does anticipate
continuation. But to me, that's pretty much what a semicolon
connotes. The clauses are syntactically independent, but meaningfully
thought of (rhetorically presented)as a single statement with two
equal parts. I would argue for the semicolon as the best choice.

Craig

 Bud,