ATEG Archives

May 2007

Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 05:57:48 +0300
Paul E. Doniger wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for advice: This year, many of my high school sophomores
> seem unable (unwilling?) to write about literature in the present
> tense. They discuss events in a novel, story, etc., only as past tense
> events.

You didn't ask why the do it but understanding that may help to resolve
the problem. I expect that it has to do with conventions followed when
reciting the plots or story lines of movies or TV shows. People tend to
see these as real events so they talk about them in real time casting
everything into the past. But there is another historical present tense
commonly heard in on-the-spot reporting about crimes and disasters. This
comes through all in the present tense.

> For example, a student wrote in one of his journals for /Brave New
> World/: "Bernard was with Lenina when he* *met John, the Savage." How
> can I get students to think in the present and write "Bernard is ...
> he meets" instead? Has anyone else struggled with this problem? I'm
> looking for teachable moments, here.

Why not explain to students the various conventions that they already
know, and then just tell them that the usual convention followed in this
kind of writing is the "exciteable present"?

Omar