ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:43:07 -0400
Herb,
   I think American structuralists tried to make grammar more scientific
by reducing it to formal observations and the "rules" that go with that.
Other aspects of language get pushed off into semantics and pragmatics.
There are two problems that come with that. One, which Bolinger pointed
out, is that looking at grammar as a system of formal rules may in fact
be a distortion of what we are attempting to observe. The other problem
is that  grammar divorced from discourse and from meaning seems
irrelevant to reading and writing. It is the province of experts, not of
the public.
   A cognitive view of nounhood isn't simple, but it will be rich and
interesting. The challenge may be trying to find a way to make it
practical and accessible, to make it, as you have said before, both
truthful and useful.
   It might be interesting to look at traditional grammar as an approach
in need of revision. Its prime advantage might be that it tries to
describe the language and give advice at the same time. The weakness is
that it doesn't do either particularly well.

Craig