ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:39:12 -0600
Thanks, Peter, for an excellent analysis. On a related subject, here's an article ATEGers might like to know about:

Tomlinson, D. (1994). Errors in the research into the effectiveness of grammar teaching. English in Education 28(1), 20-26.

Tomlinson isn't as well known as some of the other articles because he teaches (or taught) abroad, the article was published in a smaller British journal, and, of course, Hillocks and other anti-grammarites have scrupulously avoided mentioning him in any of their publications. He dissects the 1962 Harris dissertation, upon which Braddock's (in)famous 1963 condemnation of grammar was based, and shows that Harris was biased in its design and in its reporting of results--thus strongly questioning, if not completely destroying, the primary support for Braddock's condemnation of grammar teaching.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Assistant Professor of Professional Writing
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
Office 417.836.5332, fax 417.836.4226
Editor, ATEG Journal