ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:31:17 -0500
Johanna and others have mentoned the various ways that the educational
system's approach to grammar has made the subject so difficult to teach and
learn; its divorce from writing, the hazy definitions, the emphasis on
single sentences, etc.  But I think as we ponder what the problems are, we
also need to look beyond the schools to grammar in America at large.  This
has not been a focus of ATEG but maybe we need to broaden our focus a little
to be effective in our classroom efforts.

Americans have historically been schizophrenic about formal grammar.  There
has always been a pragmatic, anti-intellectual, and anti-authoritarian
streak in our culture that says, in effect, "Those fine points of writing
are silly stuff; I'm too busy getting ahead."  On the other hand, American
have been very anxious about their grammar whenever their status might be
gauged by what they write, as in business or public situations.  Then they
cling to their grammar bibles and spout Ms. Fidditch.  They like having
rules that will get them through their uncertainty.  Grammatical competence
remains an aspect of social competence.  I also think people sense--vaguely
and inconsistently but basically accurately--that in a society as dependent
on literacy as ours, the guidelines of the standardized writing system are
crucial and should not be tampered with lightly.  The grammar conventions
play a conserving function, in terms of literacy, class structure, even
politically--all the more reason to hate them/need them.

In other words, some of the reasons for the grammar situation have nothing
to do with what happens in the classroom.  While we work on reforming
grammar in schools, we should keep one eye on what is happening with grammar
ouside of school.  Perhaps ATEG could hear more from media commentators who
write about language and grammar, and from writers and publishers of grammar
handbooks and trade market grammar reference books.
We might not like what we hear, but we should keep it in mind.

Brock Haussamen