ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:41:34 -0700
It came to be yesterday, before I even reviewed my e-mail, that alongside the post-clitic possessive marker ('s) as in "the man smoking quietly's ostentatious pipe" there is also a pre-clitic infinitive marker (to).  This clitic is often assumed to mark the infinitive form of the verb.  It is never accented, is it. So when we see the so-called split infinitive, we are observing its clitic nature.  In such cases it is still not accented but can be seen to be attached to the whole verb phrase, not just the bare verb form -- "to boldly go."  Similarly when the adverb particle "not" splits it away: "I wanted to not fall" as more colloquial for "I wanted not to fall" or more precise than "I didn't want to fall."

Bruce