ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Harry Noden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:24:09 -0500
Hi Marcy,

Image Grammar that expands on some of the concepts found in the work
of Rei Noguchi and Connie Weaver by focusing on (1) grammatical
concepts employed and advocated by professional writers, and (2)
classroom strategies (about 80) that have worked with my students
(eighth graders and college freshmen). I think this might be of some
help to you if you are searching for ideas to teach grammar in
context.

        You can get a complimentary copy by contacting Heinemann at
1-800-793-2154, asking for the college division, and indicating you
would like to consider the text for a course. Also, there are seven
reviews on Amazon.com (six highly positive and one extremely
negative). You might check those out as well.

        In addition, I'm collecting research data for a future
article which I hope will lend statistical support to the concept of
teaching grammar in context. And when my schedule frees up, I plan to
write a brief article explaining the nature of image grammar for
Syntax in the Schools.

        Hope this helps you.

Sincerely,

Harry

You wrote:

>In one of these posts about putting grammar back in the curriculum,
>someone mentioned the problem of how to teach grammar in a writing
>course without taking up "gobs of time." And this was one of my
>concerns in my first post to list: how do I fit in grammar in a
>15-week freshman composition course, when I have so many other
>things to cover? After my first post to this list, Johanna Rubba
>mentioned Rei Noguchi's Grammar and The Teaching of Writing. I've
>read through it, and I'm wondering if anyone on the list has applied
>Noguchi's concepts, how he/she has implented them, and how well the
>method worked. You can respond to me personally, if you wish.
>

>And by the way, I apologize for not including my signature in my
>first post. I thought I had attached it....
>Marcy H. Nicholas
>Penn State York
>Instructor of English
>1031 Edgecomb Avenue
>York Pa 17403
>
>Phone: 717-771-4162
>Fax: 717-771-8404
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>WWW: http://www.yk.psu.edu/~mhn1/home.htm

        Dance like nobody is watching. Love like you'll never get hurt.