ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:50:41 -0400
I've never heard of the rule of no comma after "-ly" words.  In fact,
I'd place a comma after "actually" in your example sentence, Ruth.  I
recall that the Harbrace Handbook some years ago advised to mark off
introductory elements with a comma unless they're "slightly
introductory."  In other words, a shorter element such as "actually"
might do without the comma.  But I suspect that the comma is never wrong
and at times necessary, and so I usually tell my students to put it.

==Best, Reinhold