ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:12:46 -0600
Bill,

My impression is that "transitivity" is a term that was tied to a verb, and only later to prepositions as adverbs.  I think it has been generalized to the notion of c-command.
The branching requirement of generative grammar by which the c-command is defined has been questioned because of word-order "scrambling" that occurs in the patterning in Latin or even more so in Finnish.  But let's not go there.

It may be argued that probability distributions are a characteristic of language as produced and compared.  When I measure a two-foot board, sometimes it comes out as longer or shorter by some small amount, because of the precision with which I am able to measure it.  This need not have anything to do with the board itself, just the standard to which it is compared and the act of comparing it.  Its manufacture might also have been faulty.  There are several possible origins for the probability distributions we see.  Language is changing.  Different speakers have different notions about its proper or most appropriate structure.  I would think that whether the explanation for this is formalized or not would be up to the person making the observations.  Even language play could stand to be explained -- pun, spoonerism, riddle, etc. I'm not sure I would want to make any such phenomena off limits to investigation and explanation.

I think the best way to make the divide between syntax and semantics remains a matter of taste. (to be continued)

Bruce