ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Harry Noden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:33:35 -0500
Judy,

        I was referring to Chris Anderson's book Free Style (1992)
which discusses questions of paragraph designs from a framework very
different from Coe's work. With Rodgers, the reference was to the
symposium in CCC (1966, 17:60-64) in which Christensen and Paul
Rodgers discuss redefining the nature of the paragraph around stadia
/ sequence to better represent the relationship of sentences. This
discussion came after the publication of Notes Toward a New Rhetoric.

        It is interesting to look at the work of Coe, Christensen,
and Rodgers in the context of Pulitzer Prize winner Jon Franklin's
comments in Writing for Story where he discuses organizing units of
prose around image clusters, focus images and major thematic image
blocks. What fascinates me is that somewhere in the mix of these
views I feel is the missing link Johanna spoke of--- the idea of
extending the definition of grammar to include passages as well as
sentences.

        As Mina Shaughnessy once said, "The mature writer is
recognized not so much by the quality of his individual sentences as
by his ability to relate sentences in such a way as to create a flow
of sentences, a pattern of thought that is produced, one suspectsm,
acording to principles of yet another kind of grammar--- the grammar,
let us say, of passages." So, the question is "Where are the links?"

Interesting stuff.

Harry

>I get the impression that the research on text-types has underwhelmed
>everyone. :)
>
>Harry, I am unfamiliar with a couple of people you cited: Anderson and
>Rodgers. Can you post the full cites?
>
>I'll look through the literature I've collected to see what I can find that
>might be relevant here.
>
>Judy
>

>Judith Diamondstone  (732) 932-7496  Ext. 352
>Graduate School of Education
>Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
>10 Seminary Place
>New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

        Dance like nobody is watching. Love like you'll never get hurt.